October 13, 2009
No more excuses about leaving your nails unpainted because they chip too quickly. Healthy Hoof Lacquer Top Coat is the answer to your problem/prayers. It goes on easily, dries faster than any top coat I’ve used, and WILL NOT chip. Believe me, I’ve tried. Best of all, it’s only like $3 and lasts FOREVER.
October 5, 2009
Fall 09 Hair
Best hairstyles for fall. Chic. Easy. Do it. Love it.
Leave a chunk of hair out at the nape of your neck and pull the rest back with an elastic. Wrap that piece around the elastic and secure with hair pins. Spray hairspray on your hands and gently run over hair to get rid of fly-aways.
Deep Side Part
Part your hair really far to the side. Do I really need to explain that one?
Spray Dream Curls Curl Perfecting Spray by John Frieda ($7) in hair and let dry. Put hair up in a loose ponytail and then create a messy bun, securing the hair with bobby pins.
I blow dry my hair 3/4 or the way, spray Aussie Sprunch Hair Spray (hate the name, love the stuff) all over and go to bed. This is pretty much how it looks when I wake up.
Follow steps listed above. Pull hair to side and put a ban around it. Maybe tease it a little at the top.
I don’t get why people are always talking about getting blowouts. Buy a straightener and shut the fuck up.
September 8, 2009
Who’s the Fairest?
Sample sale sites like Gilt and Rue La La are great because they offer designer clothes and jewelry at huge discounts. And while I love finding a D&G dress for, like, 200 bucks, I need someplace that will give me discounts on the things that I use everyday like beauty products and makeup. While these things usually aren’t going to break the bank, they do add up quickly. Luckily TheFairest.com has come to the rescue, offering makeup, nail polish, skin care products at up to 70 percent off. I see an addiction approaching.
Visit TheFairest.com. Upcoming sales include Tarte, Bodyography, and Korres.
August 31, 2009
Don’t Give Me Any Lip. Actually, please do.
How many times have you excitedly rushed home after buying a new lipstick only to find that it looks nothing like you had hoped? To make sure that that color in the tube actually looks the way you expect it to, put Rimmel’s Hide the Blemish Concealer on lips before applying the color. This will make the color really pop and is perfect for the red and berry shades that will be popular for fall. Plus, the concealer is already in the shape of a lipstick (coincidence? I think not.) and is only $5.
August 19, 2009
So I know summer is basically over, but I wrote this a long time ago and just got around to posting it, so here are my favorite makeup looks for day and night this summer.
For day, I like a natural but polished look, like the one Kate Hudson is wearing here, which can be replicated quickly and easily in just a few steps.
- Apply moisturizer (with sunscreen, duh).
- Apply concealer to under eye area and blemishes (If you need it. Which I don’t. Because I’m perfect.)
- Translucent powder – If you sweat like I do (which, for your sake, I hope isn’t the case) or have oily skin this will help you to not look like a huge greaseball all summer.
- Sweep peach blush on the apples of the cheeks.
- Apply taupe eyeshadow on the entire lid and brow bone.
- Line the upper lid and half of the lower lid with black of brown liner or shadow.
- Add light brown shadow to the crease.
- Add a few coats of black or dark brown mascara.
- Brush teeth.
- Apply lip gloss.
1. Moisturizer- My favorite is La Roche-Posay Anthelios 60 Face Melt-In Sunscreen Lotion, $26, Avaiable at CVS. It’s very light, waterproof, and, as the name implies, it really does melt into your skin; Neutrogena Age Shield Face, $11.99, also works well. Comes in a variety of SPF.
2. Concealer- I was just kidding about being perfect. (Kind of.) I’ve used Bobbi Brown’s Creamy Concealer religiously since I was thirteen. $22. It’s not super cheap, but flawless (looking) skin is so important for any look, so I think it’s a completely worthwhile investment. Plus, one container lasts a really long time. *The Face Touch Up Stick, $22, also by Bobbi Brown is great for touch ups on the go.
3. Translucent powder- Bare Escentuals Translucent Mineral Veil, $19.
4. Blush- Revlon ColorStay Mineral Blush and Bronzer in Honey, $11.89.
5. Eyeshadow- Revlon ColorStay 12 Hour Eye Shadow Quad in Sandstorm includes a good base and a good crease color, $5.44.
7. Crease- Revlon ColorStay 12 Hour Eye Shadow Quad in Sandstorm, $5.44.
8. Mascara- Maybelline FabuLash, $6.99.
9. Teeth- You’re on your own.
10. Lips- Revlon Crème Gloss in Pink Cami, $8.59.
Now, I know that a lot of people think Gwyneth Paltrow is über-obnoxious because she names her children after fruit and refers to Billy Joel as “William.” But you have to admit that sh e looks pretty good here. I think this look is perfect for a summer night.
- Apply Translucent Powder.
- Apply Coral/Peach Blush to apples of cheeks.
- Line inner and outer rims with navy or violet shadow or liner and smudge upward for a smoky look.
- Apply white shimmer to inner corners of eyes.
- Curl Lashes.
- Apply Mascara (like, a lot of it).
- Apply highlighter to the brow bone, bridge of the nose, and bow of the lips.
- Use lip liner to cover lips, not just line them.
- Apply gloss.
1. See Day time make-up look.
2. See Day time make-up look.
3. See Day time make-up look.
4. Blush- Nars Orgasm is flattering on most skin tones, especially lighter ones, $25. Springsheen by MAC is similar and is good for darker skin tones, $18.
5. Eyeliner- Bobbi Brown Long-wear Gel Eyeliner in Violet Ink is easy to apply and won’t fade, $18.
Maybelline Stylish Smokes in Amethyst Smokes, $5.79.
NYX Trio Eyeshadow in Navy/Pacific/Baby Blue,$8.00.
6. Shimmer- Benefit Lust Dusters in Snow Bunny, $18.
7. Eyelash Curler- Kevyn Aucoin Beauty, $20.
8. Mascara- Givenchy Phenom’eyes Mascara, $28. The unique applicator allows you to get all your lashes, even the small ones in the corners, and the formula really thickens and elongates lashes. Just take it off before you go to bed or you’ll look like a crack whore in the morning… or so I’ve heard.
Benefit Bad Gal Lash, $18.
Rimmel Glam’Eyes $5.99.
9. Highlighter- High Beam and Moon Beam, both by Benefit, are very natural look and last forever, $24.
10. Lip Line r- Chose one that is the same color as the inside of your lip. Trish McEvoy’s Essential Pencil is great, $22.00.
11. Gloss- Cover Girl Wetslicks in Clear Radiance, $5.97.